Saturday, May 13, 2006

Interview with Ms. April Carson

I got the opportunity to sit down with the talented Ms. April Carson. She currently calls Hollywood, California home to her life and her music. She has begun to make her mark on the industry and is planning to be a force to be reckoned with.

1. How and where did you come up?
I was born and raised in Portland Oregon with three older sisters, younger brother, a Christian mom and a hustler for a dad.

2. What's music all about for you? When did it become more than just a pass time?
Music is about living a dream I had buried in my heart as a child. It's about using a gift bestowed on me by God. It's about reaching for greatness. I began to take music seriously a few years back when I hired a professional vocal coach.

3. What or who have been some positive influences?
My mommy, for her undying prayers, love and support. James Leach of Sesac, because he signed me after only hearing me sing over the phone. Finally, my man. I can't explain it, but the way he lives life inspires me, he's so positive.

4. What about negative barriers?
I've experienced plenty of barriers like anyone else, but learning how to persevere despite them has made me into who I am today.

5. What has kept you driven and focused on music?
I almost gave up on it but, in the end faith has kept me thus far.

6. Who in the music business gets the most respect from you right now?
Missy Elliot, I love her creativity. India Irie, her lyrical content is masterful. Madonna, is fabulous and over forty, constantly reinventing herself. Kanye West , for his dedication to making great music. Beyonce, because of her fire.

7. Who's CD, who's work is paramount to you?
India Irie, work speaks to my soul. Her music is inspiring and encouraging, when I heard her first album Acoustic Soul, it was like I gained a sister.

8. Who is your sound comparable to?
I've been told it's a mixture of Missy(for style) and Beyonce (for vocal ability). Honestly, I don't want to I sound like anyone.

9. When did performance start for you?
In sixth grade at a school talent show.

10. Where can the public find out more about you and your music?
Currently the public should view www.myspace.com/aprilcason for updates. There's and album dropping this year, and performances to follow.

11. Anything else you want us to know about you and your music future?
That I'm here to be me, not to clone anyone else. I don't make music according to trends. I simply create what my spirit is leading me to do in that moment. I plan to make my mark on this industry and stick around for a while. So don’t sleep, be looking for me, because I'm one to watch.

Copyright © 2006

No comments: